Hi, my name is Matthijs Hollemans.
I am an independent consultant who specializes in deep learning on iOS. If you want to add deep learning to your app, I’m the guy to talk to.
But I’m also available for other kinds of machine learning and general algorithm and optimization work.
To get a taste for the sort of things I do, check out my blog where I write about the practical aspects of doing deep learning on iOS.
What is deep learning?
Machine learning is a way to create software that can learn how it should behave from data, instead of having to be explicitly programmed.
Deep learning is a specific kind of machine learning that uses large neural networks to mimic how the human brain processes information.
The traditional way to solve problems with software is for a developer to write down a series of rules that tell the computer how to interpret the data and make decisions. Designing good rules is hard, especially for “fuzzy” or ambiguous tasks such as recognizing faces or translating speech.
The power of machine learning is that it can automatically learn these rules from a collection of examples. Often, the rules discovered by deep learning are much more effective than those designed by a human programmer.
And that’s why everyone wants to add deep learning into their software!
I can help you add deep learning into your mobile app.
How to do deep learning on mobile
Mobile devices are finally powerful enough to take advantage of advanced machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms, so it makes sense that developers will now want to put deep learning into their apps.
Sounds great, but how do you get started? Here’s what it takes to add deep learning to your app and your business:
- you need to design a model using a deep learning architecture that is suited to the problem you’re trying to solve
- you need to collect and clean up the data for training the model
- you need to train the model so that it works well on new, previously unseen data
- and then you need to make the trained model work reliably in a production environment.
Building a machine learning model in a research lab is one thing — but when you put the model into an actual app… that is where theory meets the real world.
You need an experienced engineer to help make this transition from lab to app.
What can I do for you?
I want to help you make the most out of machine learning in your app and your business.
These are the services I offer:
- I can take your trained machine learning model and implement it on iOS using Apple’s Metal and Accelerate frameworks.
- If your model is using non-standard layers or requires a special algorithm, I can implement custom compute kernels with Metal for greatest possible speed.
- I can compress and optimize your model to make it small enough to fit on the device, but still performs up to your standards.
- I can integrate the deep learning model into the rest of your app for a seamless user experience.
- I can optimize your existing code for speed, memory, and battery usage.
In addition, I can provide advice and guidance on:
- how to collect data, design models, and train models
- how to compress your models so they will fit on iOS devices
- how to improve your models to give better performance
Many of my clients already have a (sometimes experimental) machine learning model and they just want help with implementing it on iOS. If you’re new to deep learning, I am also happy to design and train models based on your requirements.
As the author of several iOS books, I know how to explain things. I’d be pleased to train your team on how to use deep learning and machine learning techniques.
A little more about me…
I’ve been coding for 30 years, 20 of those professionally.
In the past I’ve worked on games, graphics, programming languages, enterprise systems, back-ends, front-ends, process control systems, mobile apps, and many other types of software.
I’ve worked at large companies, at startups, and as an independent developer and contractor. Because of these varied experiences, it’s safe to say I am an all-round developer. I’m comfortable with many different programming languages and tools.
Recently I’ve been focusing exclusively on machine learning — and especially deep learning. I am up-to-date with the latest research and practical techniques.
Some career highlights:
I also started Swift Algorithm Club, an open source project to implement many algorithms and data structures in Swift with detailed explanations.
I am a regular contributor to open source projects. One fun project I worked on was the Haiku Operating System.
As an independent developer, I’ve published several iPhone and iPad apps over the years. Currently I’m selling the game Mahjong Cards for iPad.
I also mentor young developers.
My focus is on doing high quality work. When you hire me, you’ll be guaranteed a good working relationship, attention to detail, and a product we can both be proud of. I am only happy if the software is the best that it could possibly be!
Contact me to talk about your product and your plans for it. I’d be happy just to chat about your idea and the possibilities for turning it into an awesome mobile app. I hope to hear from you soon!